Felony and Other Crimes
Felonies are the most serious offenses in California’s criminal justice system and therefore carry the most serious sentences, including prison time. Crimes like homicide, rape or assault are common felonies, but so are some DUIs, drug and theft cases.
If you are accused of a felony or misdemeanor crime in the Fresno area or California’s Central Valley, you should consult one of Hammerschmidt Broughton Law Corporation’s experienced criminal defense lawyers.
Life After a Felony
Our lawyers help you move on with life after being charged with a felony. One of the ways we do so is by fighting the imposition of sentencing enhancements. Sentencing enhancements are conditions that add additional time to a person’s sentence if they are convicted. After clients are found guilty of crimes, a judge can determine that their conduct during the commission of the crime falls into the category of conduct proscribed by the sentencing enhancement. Enhancements can add years to a felony sentence. In California, enhancements can be added for a large number of crimes, including but not limited to the following:
- Carrying a firearm or using a dangerous or deadly weapon during the commission of a felony
- Possessing ammunition designed to penetrate armor during the commission of a felony
- Using firearms, assault weapons, machine guns or high-caliber rifles during the commission of a felony
- Prior convictions or prison terms
- Alleged gang related activity