What is Drug Diversion?

Drug diversion goes by different names, but they are all the same program. It is referred to as Deferred Entry of Judgment, PC 1000 (Penal Code 1000 is the code section that authorizes the program) or simply “drug diversion.” This program is the first option if you are going to plead guilty. Drug Diversion allows you to enter a guilty plea but no sentence is given. Instead, you attend a drug rehabilitation program (which can include meetings, in-patient or out-patient treatment, depending on whether you are addicted and depending upon the degree of addiction), and then when you successfully complete the program you case is dismissed.