My husband just learned that he has a warrant for a parole violation. How much time will he have to serve in jail?

There are a variety of factors that can affect the length of time he could receive on a violation of probation. Start by looking at the sentencing report prepared by the probation department. It will state the amount of time they’re recommending if the judge sends your husband to prison. The probation department will also prepare a one or two page document with a recommendation of sentence on the violation. The judge is permitted, however, to leave your husband on probation and not send him to jail at all. If the judge uses this option, your husband could receive local time in jail, adult offender work program or electronic monitoring. A criminal defense attorney will be able to help you fully understand the implications.