In the summer everyone likes to take it easy on the weekends. This 4th of July holiday weekend will be no different. There will be more picnics, barbecues, family gatherings, and pool parties than you could ever attend. What typically goes along with parties? Alcohol.
So, how do you avoid a DUI this 4th of July weekend? Here are a few tips for you:
- Don’t Drink. If you’re reading about how to avoid a DUI this 4th of July, you probably will be drinking. So if you plan on drinking, make sure you use Uber, a taxi, or a designated driver.
- Drink less. If you are drinking you want to make sure you’re under the legal limit. How can you tell? You also want to make sure you eat, as food helps your body digest alcohol. Plan to stop drinking at least hour or so before you will be leaving.
- Legal knowledge. Can you sleep in your car on the side of the road if you are intoxicated? In some jurisdictions, this is illegal, as you are still, technically, in control of your vehicle.
- Be courteous. If you have been drinking, you might think it is funny to argue with the officer who pulls you over. It is not funny and it could actually get you into more trouble. Keep in mind that in California, a refusal to take a “chemical test” will result in your driver’s license being suspended for at least a year.
- Use a Ride-Sharing App. Taking Uber, Lyft, or another form of ridesharing is an easy way to avoid a DUI.
BEWARE: DUI laws do vary from state to state You can still be arrested for drinking and driving while under the influence even if you are under the legal BAC limit. This is extremely probable if you cause an accident.
Just remember the easiest way to avoid a DUI this 4th of July is to simply not drink. If you do decide to drink and then drive you may end up getting arrested for a DUI. If you find yourself in that position, you need the skill and experience of a DUI defense attorney.